Let’s face it… kids are gross. They are covered in germs, they cover everything else in germs, and they just constantly produce new germs. Put a thousand children in one building together and you are asking for trouble. So with the odds against us, how can you ensure your family stays healthy? Follow these top 3 ways to stay healthy this school year!
1. Hand Washing
Proper hand washing is single-handedly the most important thing you and your kiddos can do to stay healthy. Research suggests that up to a million deaths could be prevented if everyone washed their hands routinely throughout the day. That alone is enough to convince me just how important hand washing is. The important keyword here is PROPER hand washing. Running your hands under the water for a few seconds just isn’t going to cut it. To wash your hands properly, you should follow these simple steps:
- Get your hands wet with warm water.
- Apply soap to your hand and lather.
Vigorously run your hands together for at least 20 seconds.
- To help time yourself, sing, “Tops and Bottoms, Tops and Bottoms, (Rub top and bottom of hands)In between, In between, (Rub fingers inside on both hands) Rub your hands together, rub your hands together, (Do as it says) squeaky clean, squeaky clean.“
- Rinse all the soap off your hands.
- Dry your hands with a paper towel or a clean towel.
- Using your towel, turn the water off.
For a fun DIY foaming hand soap recipe you can make with your kids, check out this recipe!
2. Proper Sleep
Sleep would be the next best thing to keep healthy. Getting enough sleep at night keeps you and your child’s immune systems functioning in tip-top shape. How much sleep is recommended? I’ll tell you…
- Newborns need 14-17 hours of sleep a day.
- Infants (4-11 months) need 12-15 hours a day
- Toddlers (1-2 years) need 11-14 hours a day
- Preschool children (3-5 years) need 10-13 hours a day.
- Children 6-13 years old need 9-11 hours a day.
- Teenagers need 8-10 hours a day.
- Adults need 7-9 hours a day.
3. Eating Healthy
Eating healthy meals three times a day is an important way to stay healthy. Choosing foods from different food groups gives you a higher chance of getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs to stay healthy. It also keeps your energy levels up which is healthier for your immune system. Check out this article for tips and tricks on eating healthier.
Looking to used essential oils to help your family live a healthier life? Be sure to check out our Safe Essential Oil Recipes group on Facebook for some fun recipes and a great community.