This week we will be looking at proper skin care. Today’s DIY is how to make a facial serum and we’ll follow up on Friday with a facial steam. In no time you will have flawless, glowing skin!
First we’ll take a look at our carrier oil choices as they will make up the bulk of our serum. Since there are so many great choices, I have chosen just 4 to look at today. Included in the description is the best skin type for each oil, how it feels on the skin, and any specific properties you may consider in a skin care product. You are not limited to using just one! The carriers are excellent all on their own, but when you add in a few essential oils you can really see amazing results. Get creative and combine carriers to supercharge your skincare routine!
Carrier oil: by definition, this refers to an oil that is used to effectively dilute the essential oils you wish to apply to your skin.
- best used with dry or mature skin
- contains high levels of GLA essential fatty acids, useful for reducing signs of aging and eczema
- leaves an oily feeling on the skin, use sparingly
- 98% fatty acids (with long-chain carbon atoms)
- very stable ingredient results in longer shelf life
- UV protection properties
- absorbs easily, leaving a silky smooth feeling on the skin
- best for all skin types
- high-quality oil, enhanced with vitamin E
- useful for scars and stretch marks
- promotes healthy skin through cell regeneration
- not the best choice for acne-prone skin, as it can make the issue worse
- absorbed quickly & easily, leaves no greasy feeling
Now onto the essential oils! Once again there are so many great choices, and while I will go over a few here this is not an exhaustive list. The more you read and find out about essential oils, the better you will be able to choose exactly the right combination for your skin. I have listed a few below, complete with the how and why they can work for your skin.
- very strong aroma, a little goes a long way!
- balancing, to even out dry yet oily skin
- rich, deep scent
- good for acne, eczema or dermatitis
- good for dry or mature skin
- light, floral scent
- good for acne, especially if skin is dry
- good for sensitive skin
- earthy, fresh scent
- good for scarring
- very healing
- deep, rich scent
- rejuvenating for mature skin
- rejuvenating for all skin types
Rules on dilution rates for skin care products: Since you will be using this product daily, it’s best to keep the dilution low and have alternatives so you can rotate products. I recommend a 1% dilution for daily, extended use.
Ok, onto the good stuff: how to blend your personal facial serum!
I will give you a few pointers, none of these “rules” are hard and fast you have to find what works for your skin! Of course you can add in other oils besides those listed here. Just be sure to stick to no more than 9 drops (total) of essential oils per ounce of carrier.
For Oily, Acne prone skin: To 1 1/2 ounce Grapeseed Carrier Oil and 1/2 ounce of Rosehip Carrier Oil add 4 drops Tea Tree, 4 drops Lime and 3 drops Geranium Egyptian (please note, do NOT use more than 4 drops of lime per ounce of carrier. Using above the recommended amount can cause a phototoxic reaction)
For Dry or Mature skin: Use up to 9 drops per ounce of Anti Age synergy in carrier of choice -OR- to 2 ounces of Evening Primrose carrier add 3 drops Patchouli, 4 drops Helichrysum Italicum, and 4 drops Frankincense Frereana.
The key here is to do your research on what each carrier and essential oils have to offer. There are so many wonderful options. Plant Therapy strives to provide the most accurate information with each product listing on the website. If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org