Take a look at the calendar — it’s almost summertime! For a lot of hard-working students, this signals a break from teachers, studying, and school. But before the rest and relaxation begins, there are end-of-year exams to take. No matter if you are a child, a teenager, or an adult, taking tests can be an uncomfortable and dreaded experience. If you are looking for a way to calm those pretest nerves and improve your concentration, we’ve got you covered! With the help of some amazing essential oils, you’ll be ready to tackle those tests with confidence.
Test Taking Tips for Adults —
Breathe and relax. You’ve taken tests before! This is just another test. If you give yourself enough time to study and control your stress so that you can study effectively, you’ve already won half the battle. Then, just get set yourself up in a comfortable place, create your study schedule (and stick to it!), and try these oils to add a boost to your brain power while you review!
- Peppermint: This unmistakable and familiar aroma is a powerful energizer and great for attention . When you feel the mental “fog” begin to settle, let the fresh and clean scent of peppermint focus your senses and keep you motivated.
- Rosemary: If you’re having trouble getting information to stick into your head, consider Rosemary. Research from Northumbria University has found that simply being in a room diffused with the smell of Rosemary boosted memory test scores by 15% . Further studies have shown that Rosemary significantly reduces test anxiety, which was demonstrated through a series of improved test scores . So, basically, it is simply amazing for memory, mood, and cognition.
- Brain Aid Synergy: For a quick pick-me-up to clear an foggy brain, this synergy is just right. It is filled with uplifting and mentally energizing oils to keep you alert and focused on your studies! It also comes in a pre-diluted roll-on; just apply and inhale for an instant boost!
- Clarity Synergy: Made specially with essential oils that promote memory and mental focus! With its fresh and uplifting aroma, it is a wonderful help when you are studying.
Need a few more handy studying tips?
Try to engage as many senses as you can! Color code information, create manipulatives to work with, and fuel up with healthy snack foods. If you’re willing to get a little wacky, try reading aloud with the book upside down! This will force you to concentrate harder on the words and you’ll be less likely to start spacing out.
For Taking Tips for Kids and Teens —
This early age is when young minds should begin to develop healthy test taking strategies and attitudes. Since this is a skill that needs to be taught, parents and other caregivers may need to be the driving force behind their motivation. Help and encourage them by engaging with their studies along the way. Here are a few essential oils to help your children stay on the right track while they get ready to show what they know!
- Lavender: This powerhouse oil has an incredibly wide range of therapeutic properties. It is calming and great for relieving the nervous tension that can build up when preparing for something challenging (4).
- Spearmint: This is the KidSafe alternative to peppermint. It is uplifting, reduces emotional agitation, and improves concentration.
- A+ Attention Synergy: Designed to help focus an overactive body and mind with calming and mood-boosting essential oils. This synergy is a great place to start if you’re looking for a way to support your child while they are studying.
- Calming the Child: This soothing, sweet, and relaxing aroma is perfect for slowing revved-up minds and emotions. With a positive attitude and the right studying environment, you are setting your child up for success!
If you think your child is really struggling with their studying, touch base with their teacher; they may be able to provide additional study materials. When it comes to the daunting task of memorization, work with your kids to change the lyrics of songs they like or help them write a funny story about whatever it is they are studying. And never forget the importance of a good night of sleep and a healthy breakfast before the test!
End-of-year exams may not be very fun, but essential oils can absolutely make them more bearable. Hard work has been put in all school year – it’s time to let good test grades reflect that!
 Meamarbashi, A. (2014). Instant effects of peppermint essential oil on the physiological parameters and exercise performance. Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine, 4(1), 72–78.
 Herbs that can boost your mood and memory. (2016, 29 April). Retrieved from https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/news-events/news/2016/04/herbs-that-can-boost-your-mood-and-memory/
 Mccaffrey, Ruth & J Thomas, Debra & Orth Kinzelman, Ann. (2009). The Effects of Lavender and Rosemary Essential Oils on Test-Taking Anxiety Among Graduate Nursing Students. Holistic nursing practice. 23. 88-93. 10.1097/HNP.0b013e3181a110aa.
 Koulivand, P. H., Khaleghi Ghadiri, M., & Gorji, A. (2013). Lavender and the Nervous System. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine : eCAM, 2013, 681304. http://doi.org/10.1155/2013/681304